Cole Resource’s Tyler Steenken Shows How Better Data Brings Better Leads
Is there a neighborhood that you want to be THE real estate agent in?
I know how that feels: I have this one small area of Maui that is the epicenter of my business!
Even in my advertising, I tell people that I don’t know much about other areas, but if they want to know about this ONE particular area, there is no one out there who knows it like I do.
That kind of knowledge WORKS! People trust you as the leading expert in that area.
But what happens if you know the ins and outs of the area, but you don’t know all the people who are there? You don’t know what’s driving their decisions.
What are their ages? What is their income? Who is about to retire? Who is starting a family? Who has kids who are leaving home and starting out on their own?
See, the more you know, the more effectively you can market, because you know what they just might need, and how you can best serve them!
But aside from going door to door and talking to every single person, how are you going to get that data?
If you’ve been in the real estate business for a while, you might already know where you can find some of that kind of data. You’ve thumbed through volumes listing demographic information about neighborhoods, filling in some of the missing information.
This week on Selling the Dream, I am talking to Tyler Steenken, who works with Cole Information. Cole Information is one of the industry standards for collecting data for real estate agents and local businesses marketing in their community. Tyler has worked with Cole Information for more than 15 years, and he knows how to work with people to find the data that they need. We’re talking about how to get data, and what you can do with that data in your business.
Just so you know, this is not a commercial for Cole. Of course, we’ve worked with them, and had a great experience. But I wanted to bring someone from Cole onto the podcast so that you could learn about some of the unique resources that are available to you, even for second home agents. If you don’t innovate and learn about resources available to you, you’ll quickly find yourself becoming irrelevant…and wondering what happened to all of your business.
If you’re interested in getting more detailed information about your market, make sure you listen to this episode of the Selling the Dream podcast. Better data brings better leads, so make sure you’re working with the best data available to you!
But before we dive in: have you created your free profile on the Second Home Agents website? Go over and get started: it’s FREE to join. Click here to register, fill out your profile and get listed today.
Highlights of this episode:
- Tom introduces Tyler Steenken, and his business with Cole Resources.
- Tyler describes Cole Resources is in a nutshell.
- You used to be able to buy directories that helped you know more about the demographics of an area, and who was living there. Cole Resources created those directories to help marketers dig into their local market.
- Directories give you access to data that helps you make more sales.
- Tyler tells the story of how Cole Resources went from printed books to becoming an online resource.
- If you don’t adapt and change, you’ll quickly become irrelevant: that drove Tyler and his team to find new ways to innovate!
- Want to “own” the business in a neighborhood? You can’t predict all the major life changes that the homeowners will have, but when you have data available, you can market more strategically!
- Want data? You can bulk download it from Cole Resources!
- How can you use this data? You can use it to refine your advertising; to help you choose your demographics on Facebook ads.
- Note: there are those who opt out – so the data isn’t perfect! But it gives you a LOT of information to work with.
- Having data doesn’t replace the relationships: it gives you a head start in creating those relationships.
- Are you interested in being able to market to your feeder market? You can’t door knock there, but you can use data to learn more about them, and advertise to them more effectively!
- By the way – if you decided to check out Cole Information, make sure that you say you heard about them on the Selling the Dream podcast!
- When you work with a company to get lead information, make sure that you tell them what you’re looking for. They may be able to work with you to get you even more personalized information!
Hey everybody, thank you so much for spending time with us today: would you do me a giant favor and share this podcast with fellow realtors, and leave a review. Your reviews help this podcast get shared with more people.
Connect with Tyler Steenken and Cole Information:
Connect with me (Tom):
Subscribe to the Show
Don’t miss a single episode of the podcast. You can search for “Selling the Dream” on any of your favorite listening platforms, or follow the links below:
As always, thanks for listening. Don’t forget, you’re not selling a home: you’re selling the dream.
See you next time!